Saturday, August 29, 2009

Papa's Got a Brand New Bag

My husband got new shirts for work. They have special shirts for this big promotion they do every year. So, he comes home yesterday with them in a white bag (a grocery store bag). I took the shirts out, washed them, and got them all ready for the coming week.
As it turns out, they are too small, and he needs to trade them in for the next size up. So, I packed them up and put them in a Walmart bag for him to take back to work. Unfortunately for me, I decided to put them in a different bag than they were in when he got them. This was my mistake. Apparently, I am not smart enough to realize that they need to be in the same bag because "everyone doesn't need to know our business".
According to him, this is my problem. I am incapable of making logical decisions. I should have realized that the Walmart bag would not be acceptable for him to return to work with.

I still don't get it. What's the big deal? Answer~ it's not a big deal. I'm not stupid.
He is angry.

So, what do I do with this knowledge?

Romans 12:20-21 (New International Version)

20On the contrary:
"If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
if he is thirsty, give him something to drink.
In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head."a]">[a] 21Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.



I pray for him. I pray that he will be filled with the Holy Spirit, and that his heart will be changed. We are to love our enemies. We are commanded to love in the midst of hate.

If I continue to do good to my husband, and love him despite his treatment of me, he will have no choice but to recognize the grace of God in me.

1 comment:

  1. I just read your blog and my heart grieves for you. First of all. He chose to take that wal-mart bag to work with him. He could've chosen to when he saw the different looking bag, to take his shirts out of that bag and fix his own needs. God gave us all free will out of his great love. God gave him a free will to take whatever bag he liked to work if he preferred some other bag. Remind yourself in your heart that your husband chooses what he will or will not do. His choices are his alone. Don't let your heart stoop. I beg of you, guard your heart, for out of it are the issues of life. Please don't let the devil use people's anger to put you down. You are a child of the King of Kings and Lord of lords! Stand up and be strong and speak the truth in love to your husband about how you feel when he puts you down. Love has limits. God has limits. THe book that changed my way of thinking and seeing God in a different light was - BOUNDARIES: WHEN TO SAY YES AND WHEN TO SAY NO TO TAKE CONTROL OF YOUR LIFE. By Henry Cloud and Townsend. I strongly encourage you to get this book, hide it if you need to and read it. I've read it over and over for the last 3 years now and it is sinking in. I thank God for his love and wisdom in dealing with people who don't understand boundaries.

    ReplyDelete